Saturday 18 June 2011

20 Questions With...Magnus

Photo: Ray Mullan

Welcome to the latest instalment of “20 Questions With…”. This week dear readers, one half of the British Invasion – the one and only Magnus!

Before i present the full Q&A i’d like to thank Nick Aldis for taking time out of his busy schedule to do this, he’s a true gent who hasn’t forgotten his roots and i’m sure you’ll agree a great representative of UK Wrestling on the international scene.

I’d also like to thank everyone who sent their questions, the response was fantastic and easily the most popular Q&A we’ve done so far. Finally, I would also like to address those fans who sent marriage proposals (you know who you are!) for Magnus. It’s not really my place to be asking the man such questions, so your probably better tweeting him directly. And no, I am not joking, there were three in total! Anyway dear readers, onwards as Magnus answers your questions:

Did you always aspire to be a pro wrestler growing up and who was your childhood favourite wrestler?

I watched wrestling as a small child, but didn’t really pay close attention. I just liked the action figures. The first wrestlers I became fans of were Davey Boy Smith, Undertaker and Bret Hart. Then when I got to high school, the ‘attitude era’ was in full effect and I was so into The Rock, DX and Stone cold Steve Austin. I aspired to be a pro wrestler since the age of about 14. As I got older I soaked up as much as I could, becoming obsessed with wrestling and working out. Around that time, I realised that HHH was my hero. I wanted to be just like him; built like him, intense like him, cool like him. I have always been hugely inspired by Kurt Angle too.

How did you get your start in wrestling?

When I was 17 I learned of a training camp that Ricky Knight was holding in Norwich, and I signed up. I went to a few of these weekend camps, and Paddy really gave me my start, putting me in Battle Royals and 8-man tags. I then attended Dropkixx Wrestling School in Essex for about 2 years. They would have loads of different guys come in and teach, including Doug Williams, Jonny Storm, Steve Grey and Wayne Bridges.

Who was your first match against?

My first singles match was against Charlie Rage in the Isle of Sheppey. My second was against Stu Sanders (now known as Wade Barrett) and my 3rd ever match was against Doug Williams in Worthing.

How did you end up as Oblivion on Gladiators and Did you still wrestle whilst you were doing the show?

I was wrestling full-time for All Star Wrestling, doing the Butlins loop which at that time was 6 days a week for about 3 months. During that time I was cast for a small acting part, and the director happened to be an agent also. One day he called me out of the blue and told me they were bringing back Gladiators and that he had put me forward. I went to a tryout of 50 athletes and after physical testing, interviews and camera tests, they eventually narrowed it down to 6, and along with 6 girls, we made the cast for the first season. I didn’t wrestle during the filming of the show, as I was contractually obligated not to, but as soon as it was over I went back to working independent shows in between personal appearances.

Very few British wrestlers ever get to the big time with one of the big U.S. promotions, however you managed it relatively quickly in your career. How did the deal with TNA come about and can you provide any tips for young British wrestlers hoping to follow in your footsteps?

After Gladiators started airing, James Denton and FSM Magazine approached me for an interview. James and I hit it off instantly, and he was the one who suggested that TNA would be very interested. He even went as far as to say that Dixie had contacted him and asked about me, so he put us in touch and after a couple of conversations with Dixie I was ready to sign. I was so excited, I knew I was young to be in such a demanding position, but I had to go for it.

My best advice for young Brits is to work on your whole package; The look, the persona, the skills, your character. You have to be comfortable in your own skin. Ask yourself “What more could I be doing to get noticed?”

How did you come up with the “Mag Daddy” nickname, is there any story behind it?

I think it was the same thing as ‘The Big O’ in Gladiators, I was just clowning around backstage and said it, and somebody said’ hey you should say that on TV’…

Whatever happened to Chelsea?

Chelsea has an established modelling and acting career, her role in TNA was great for a while, and I thought it added some depth and credibility to my character and Desmond’s. But for now she is busy with other things. I would be happy to see her back though…

What has been the highlight of your career so far?

I am proud of the accomplishments of the British invasion, winning the IWGP and the TNA Tag Titles. So the Full Metal Mayhem match at Bound For Glory 09 was a big highlight, but for me individually, the highlight of my career thus far is wrestling Sting one-on-one in the iMPACT main event.

What was the strangest match of your career?

Wow, that covers a lot of ground!…Off the top of my head I can think of a match we had at Pontins in Great Yarmouth, it was me and Isaak Rain vs Jimmy Starr and Ashe. The ring was on the dance floor in the entertainment venue, and a pipe burst just as the match started, water was shooting out 6 feet in the air and within minutes the dance floor was flooded. But the place was packed and the show must go on, so we carried on. I took Jimmy and threw him out of the ring and distracted the ref, then Isaak rammed Jimmys head into a ping pong table and Jimmy slipped and went skidding across the water on his ass for about 10 feet! The whole place was laughing, it was such a fun day, with 2 of my best friends, it’s a fond memory of Isaak too, who sadly passed away in a car accident, he was a good guy.

What’s your dream tag-team match for the British Invasion?

We’re privileged to have wrestled some of the best teams in the business like Beer money, 3D and MCMG. I know we would really like to face Generation Me. I was always a huge fan of the New Age outlaws, and I’ve wrestled Road Dogg and know both guys well, that would be a lot of fun to do. I’d also love to wrestle MCMG in a ladder match or something like that.

Have you and Doug Williams got a name for your double team finisher yet?

Yes, I call it the Cruel Britannia.

If you could wrestle any wrestler, past or present, who would it be and why?

HHH, Shawn Michaels, Kurt Angle or AJ Styles. HHH is my hero and I would love to wrestle him. Shawn Michaels is arguably the greatest of all time and from a professional standpoint he is who everybody can have a great match with. Kurt Angle is awesome, and I would love to wrestle him one on one, I’ve wrestled him in tag matches and it was an honour. AJ is the most talented performer of his generation, and is as polished as anyone in the business now, he is TNA’s franchise player.

Who is your favourite TNA Knockout?

Mickie James, slightly biased answer…

Who is the biggest prankster in the TNA locker room?

I’ve been known to pull a few ribs on my friends, and I dare say that I’d be one of the people most of the guys would refer to, but I’d say the biggest prankster and funniest guy is Eric Young. I’m constantly laughing when he’s around.

Any word on when Jakks are going to make a TNA Action Figure of you?

I’ve seen the figure, it hasn’t been released yet, as it was made during the London Brawling period. So a few things have changed.

What was the best part of the UK tour and will you be on next years?

For me the best part of the UK tour was spending time with Ric Flair. He was so much fun to hang out with and wrestling Beer Money with Ric at ringside was very special, and the loudest reaction I’ve ever got. I don’t know if I’ll be on the next tour, obviously many factors go into it, but I’d like to think so.

Do you have any funny road stories?

I have loads, many of which I couldn’t share with you! Eric Young and I were just talking about one time in Huntingdon West Virginia. I got back to the hotel at 4am and Abyss was at the vending machine trying to get Sun Chips out, with a $100 bill! And the machine said ‘no change given’, I stopped him and put a dollar in for him. The next morning, EY told me he stepped in puke, and Abyss was denying it was his, until EY said that there were bits in the puke that ‘looked like sun chips’…

What’s your favourite movie?

The Bourne Identity, Supremacy and Ultimatum.

When all is said and done with your career, how do you want to be remembered?

I’d like to be remembered as someone who contributed well to the industry on every level. Who paid their dues and always tried to maintain high standards and professionalism. I’d also like to be known as someone who represented the business well and broke a few stereotypes.

Last but certainly not least – You have a midget, a hammer and a roulette wheel, what’s your plans for the evening? :)

Clear the crime scene up and head to Mexico.

You can catch Magnus in action on IMPACT Wrestling and Xplosion every Tuesday Night from 10pm on Challenge TV. You can follow Magnus on twitter: @TheMagDaddy and read his thoughts every month in his exclusive column with Fighting Spirit Magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment